Over the next year, I'll take some time to wade through the sewing resources I have found and share them here. This will help me gain that priceless bird's eye view to help see all of the glorious resources out there. Hopefully, it will help you too!
A great place to start is with the basics and Kwik Sew pattern company really has the market cornered here.
- How to Measure / Measurement Charts: This document explains how to measure yourself (or others) so that you can interpret the measurement chart on the back of the pattern envelope and chose the right size. This is vital because pattern sizes are not the same sizes you use when you shop at the clothing store.
- Glossary: Fabric Terms: This document explains the different categories of fabrics: knits and wovens. It then provides a thorough breakdown of what specific fabrics fall into these categories. Use this to build a swatch kit for yourself!
- Glossary: Sewing Terms: Use this document to decode that Threads or Sew News article or to decipher that pattern you picked up at the Joann's 5 patterns for $5 sale (love that sale!).
- Glossary: Sewing Machine Terms: Use this document in conjunction with your sewing machine manual to figure out which parts do what.
- Corners and Curves Training Sheets: Print out these training sheets to practice your cornering and curve navigating skills. Remember when you reach a corner, put the needle down into the fabric, lift the presser foot, turn your fabric to the next stitching line, **put the foot back down**, and continue stitching. On curves, slow it down, waaaay down, and when the curves get really tight switch over to the hand wheel to stay on course.